Working and living conditions in Slovenia
A decision regarding mobility must be carefully weighed! We provide you practical information regarding living and working conditions, and developments on the labour market.
Check out working and living conditions in Slovenia on the EURES portal.
What needs to be arranged prior to arriving in Slovenia?
- Arrange your registration of residence. If you are residing with a private person, relatives or acquaintances, you must register at the competent police station within three days following arrival in Slovenia. You must register your residence with the competent administrative unit within three months.
- The administrative unit can issue confirmation of registration of residence, which you may need for employment or work, self-employment, the provision of services, studies or other forms of education, or for other reasons. The administrative unit issues a confirmation of registration of residence with a validity of five years or for the intended period of residence in Slovenia, if less than five years. The aforementioned confirmation is issued in the form of an identification card.
- You will also receive a personal identification number in the Republic of Slovenia (EMŠO), which forms the basis for arranging tax, banking and other transactions in the country. The first public institution you come into contact with will obtain the number for you.
- You receive a tax number from the Tax Administration.
- You need to open a bank account.
- Citizens from EU or EEA Member States and Switzerland do not require a work permit to work in Slovenia.
- However the process still differs for Croatian citizens as Slovenia has introduced a 2-year transition period (from 1st of July 2013 till 30th of June 2015) and also a 3-year transition period (from 1st of July 2015 till 30th of June 2018) for the employment and work of Croatian citizens in Slovenia. This means that the Croatian citizens need to obtain work permit before start working in Slovenia. Employer applies for work permit. To obtain work permit various criteria should be reached: there are no suitable candidates registered at Public Employment Service in Slovenia, employer is duly registered at Slovenia Business Register, candidate from Croatia has to meet the employer’s requirements (regarding work experience, education etc.), the working contract must be signed for the specific period of time according to the time work permit is issued for. The same rules apply for employment of Croatian citizens for seasonal work in agricultural or forestry.
- Do not forget to arrange your European Health Insurance Card before entering Slovenia!
- Registration for employment is carried out by your employer. Registration for employment or work, on the basis of a civil law contract, is carried out by an employer or contracting authority by registering for social security or by registering a contract.
- The valid provisions of civil law apply to subcontracting and contract-based work, which usually involves a written agreement on the performance of work, deadlines and payment. The disadvantage of such work is that the contracting authority (or employer) is not obliged to register the worker involved for unemployment insurance.
- Work via a student employment service may be performed by secondary school and university students who are enrolled at a Slovenian education institution, and university students and secondary school students from countries of the European Economic Area who receive such a status on the basis of international student exchange projects (ERASMUS).
Learn about your rights in Slovenia.
Also visit the website of the Ministry of Labour .