Preskoci do navigacije

Preskoci do vsebine

Working and living conditions in Slovenia

What needs to be arranged prior to arriving in Slovenia?

  • Arrange your registration of residence. If you are residing with a private person, relatives or acquaintances, you must register at the competent police station within three days following arrival in Slovenia. You must register your residence with the competent administrative unit within three months.
  • The administrative unit can issue confirmation of registration of residence, which you may need for employment or work, self-employment, the provision of services, studies or other forms of education, or for other reasons. The administrative unit issues a confirmation of registration of residence with a validity of five years or for the intended period of residence in Slovenia, if less than five years. The aforementioned confirmation is issued in the form of an identification card.
  • You will also receive a personal identification number in the Republic of Slovenia (EMŠO), which forms the basis for arranging tax, banking and other transactions in the country. The first public institution you come into contact with will obtain the number for you.
  • You receive a tax number from the Tax Administration.
  • You need to open a bank account.
  • Citizens from EU or EEA Member States and Switzerland do not require a work permit to work in Slovenia.
  • Do not forget to arrange your European Health Insurance Card before entering Slovenia!
  • Registration for employment is carried out by your employer. Registration for employment or work, on the basis of a civil law contract, is carried out by an employer or contracting authority by registering for social security or by registering a contract.
  • The valid provisions of civil law apply to subcontracting and contract-based work, which usually involves a written agreement on the performance of work, deadlines and payment. The disadvantage of such work is that the contracting authority (or employer) is not obliged to register the worker involved for unemployment insurance.
  • Work via a student employment service may be performed by secondary school and university students who are enrolled at a Slovenian education institution, and university students and secondary school students from countries of the European Economic Area who receive such a status on the basis of international student exchange projects (ERASMUS).

Check out working and living conditions in Slovenia on the EURES portal.

Learn about your rights in Slovenia.

Also visit the website of the Ministry of Labour, Family, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities.


On 31 January 2020, the United Kingdom has left the EU. By leaving, the UK has chosen to put an end to the free movement of persons between the EU and the UK as of 1 January 2021.

Find further information:

You can also:

  • Contact Europe Direct by telephone 00 800 678 91011 or by an on-line form, where answering questions regarding Brexit will be a priority;
  • send an eMail to or
  • contact British Embassy in Ljubljana on ++386 (0)1 200 39 10. 


Your opinion matters!

► Leave your feedback


Employment Service of Slovenia registration form

You may register with the Employment Service of Slovenia using registration form in English, Italian and  Hungarian.

Watch video: Living and Working in Slovenia

Watch the video to find out more about living and working in Slovenia, presented by EURES adviser Jana Rožac.

Guide: Living and Working in Slovenia

Find out more about the living and working conditions in Slovenia.

Living and working conditions in Slovenia

Skip Navigation LinksHomeEURESEURES – job seekersWorking and living conditions in Slovenia