Preskoci do navigacije

Preskoci do vsebine

Crossing the border

Entry on the basis of a visa or residence permit issued in a contracting party to the Schengen Agreement

If you are a holder of a uniform visa, which was issued by a contracting party to the Schengen Agreement, you may enter the Republic of Slovenia during the validity of this visa and reside in the country if you meet the entry requirements:

  • you have sufficient means of subsistence,
  • you hold documents justifying the purpose of the intended stay (employment, study, family reunification),
  • you do not pose a threat to public policy, national security or the international relations of any of the contracting parties to the Schengen Agreement.
  • If you hold a valid residence permit issued by one of the contracting parties to the Schengen Agreement, you may enter Slovenia on the basis of that permit and a valid travel document and reside in the country for up to three months, provided that you fulfil the entry conditions and are not on Slovenia’s national list of alerts for people or aliens that the Republic of Slovenia does not allow into its territory.

A long-term resident status in another EU member state and the entry of family members of an alien with a resident status

If you have a long-term resident status in another EU member state and your immediate family members have a residence permit in another EU member state, you may, regardless of the purpose of stay in the Republic of Slovenia, enter the country with a passport and the stated residence permit that was issued in another EU member state.

You can reside in Slovenia for three months counting from the day of entry or for the duration of the permit if its validity period is less than three months.

You are entitled to long-term resident status if:

  • you are not a citizen of an EU member state and
  • you hold a permit for permanent or long-term residence in a EU member state, which has been issued with a validity of no less than five years in the prescribed EU uniform format for residence permits for third-country nationals, where long-term resident must be entered under the heading “type of permit”.


A visa is a permit to enter the country, which is issued by the competent diplomatic and consular mission of the Republic of Slovenia based abroad. A visa may also be issued for transit through the territory of the Republic of Slovenia.

Citizens of countries with which Slovenia does not have a visa-free regime must have a valid travel document as well as a visa or an appropriate residence permit to enter Slovenia.

You can obtain a visa if you are in possession of a valid travel document, whose period of validity must exceed the period of time for which the visa is issued by at least three months.

More information is available on website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


You can file an application for citizenship of the Republic of Slovenia with any of the administrative units. For the procedure for the acquisition of citizenship, administrative fees need to be paid.

More information is available at any of the administrative units or on the website of the State Portal.